What Is Your Form SS-4?
Your Form SS-4, or “Application for Employer Identification Number,” is the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) form that corporations use to apply for an employer identification number (EIN).

The EIN is required for federal tax reporting, alongside other business purposes—like applying for a business license or opening a business bank account. It’s essentially what the IRS uses to identify your business. You’ll need to have an EIN if you have employees, operate as a corporation or partnership, or need to obtain accounts, licenses, or business credit cards.

If you’ve been in business for awhile, you probably don’t have a copy of your Form SS-4, or you might not have bothered to keep a copy of the form in your files. If you’ve requested your EIN more recently, you might never have filed a Form SS-4 at all. The IRS now has an online application option that doesn’t require filing a form. Instead, it simply asks you a series of interview-style questions.

Getting a Copy of Your Form SS-4
Regardless of your situation, the IRS won’t actually give you a copy of your Form SS-4. However, they will give you another copy of your EIN assignment letter, which will serve to verify your EIN and satisfy prospective lenders.

Here’s how to get it:

Make sure you know your EIN before you call—you can look it up on your tax returns or corporate documents if you are uncertain. Then call the IRS Business & Specialty Tax Line, (800) 829-4933, which is open from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time, Monday through Friday.

The Tax Specialist will ask you to provide some identifying information about your corporation for security purposes—like the company name, the business address, and of course, the EIN.

They’ll also ask for your title within the corporation in order to prove that you’re authorized to receive a copy of the EIN assignment letter. An officer of the corporation or a partner in a partnership would be an example of an authorized person.

Once you’ve met these requirements, the Tax Specialist will make arrangements to send you a copy of your business’s EIN assignment letter by mail or by fax. Keep in mind that they’ll send it to the official address on file for the corporation, so if you want it sent elsewhere—so you can receive it faster to submit it for the loan application, for example—you’ll need to provide an alternate address to the Tax Specialist.

Tax credits and tax deductions may be the most satisfying part of your tax return. Both reduce your tax bill, but in very different ways.

Tax credits directly reduce the amount of tax you owe, giving you a dollar-for-dollar reduction of your tax liability. A tax credit valued at $1,000, for instance, lowers your tax bill by the corresponding $1,000.

Tax deductions, on the other hand, reduce how much of your income is subject to taxes. Deductions lower your taxable income by the percentage of your highest federal income tax bracket. So if you fall into the 25% tax bracket, a $1,000 deduction saves you $250.

The catch to tax credits

Some tax credits are intended to help cover individual costs around adopting a child, child care expenses or caring for an elderly parent.

But these are nonrefundable tax credits.  If you don’t owe a lot in taxes to begin with, you don’t get the full value if the credits take your tax bill below zero.  In other words, a $600 tax bill combined with a $1,000 credit doesn’t get you a $400 tax refund check.

Other credits are refundable. If you qualify to take refundable tax credits — things like the Earned Income Tax Credit, the Premium Tax Credit, the Child Tax Credit and the Additional Child Tax Credit — the value of the credit goes beyond your tax liability and can result in a refund check.

The IRS lays out specific criteria you must meet to qualify for both nonrefundable and refundable credits.

As you run the tax credit calculations in your return, keep in mind that you must determine your tax liability before you apply any credits. The credits don’t reduce your taxable income.

But tax deductions do.

The catch to tax deductions

There are two types of tax deductions.

The standard deduction is a one-size-fits-all reduction in the amount of your income that’s subject to tax. You don’t have to do anything to qualify for the standard deduction or provide any documentation.

You can claim the standard deduction on whichever form you file: Form 1040, 1040A or 1040EZ. The amount varies depending on your filing status. The standard deduction in 2016 for single filers and married couples filing separately is $6,300; it’s $12,600 for married couples filing jointly. For those filing as heads of household, the standard deduction is $9,300. In 2017, the standard deduction for single filers and married couples filing separately is $6,350; it’s $12,700 for married couples filing jointly. For those filing as heads of household, the standard deduction in 2017 is $9,350.

But you may be better off opting to use the second type of deduction, the itemized deduction, instead.

Get Started with Itemizing

Itemizing allows you to total the amount you spent on allowable deductions such as home mortgage interest, medical expenses or charitable donations. If together they exceed the value of the standard deduction, you’ll want to itemize.

Taking the standard deduction or itemized deductions is an either/or situation.  You can claim one kind or the other, but not both.

And, just as with tax credits, taking certain deductions requires meeting certain qualifications based on your filing status, current life events and the amount of your income that’s taxable.

To be sure you meet IRS criteria to qualify for both tax credits and deductions, call or message The House of Taxes today!

IRS Liens Can Demolish Your Good Credit and Borrowing Capacity!

By filing federal tax liens, the IRS can make your life miserable.  Federal Tax Liens are public records that indicate you owe the IRS various taxes. They are filed with the County Clerk in the county from which you or your business operates.

Because they are public records they will show up on your credit report. This often makes it difficult and sometimes even impossible for a taxpayer to obtain any financing, even for an automobile or a home.

In addition, Federal Tax Liens can tie up your personal property and real estate. Once a Federal Tax Lien is filed against your property, you cannot sell or transfer the property without having the lien removed so that you can transfer a clear title.

Often, taxpayers find themselves in a no-win situation where they have property against which they would like to borrow, however, due to the Federal Tax Lien, they cannot use it as collateral secure a loan.

2014 Cost-of-Living Adjustments (COLAs)

Limits on contributions and benefits

Latest Newsletter
Read the most recent edition of the Employee Plans News

Automatic Contribution Increases
Put deferral increases on auto-pilot with automatic enrollment

DB Mass Submitter Plan Deadline is Extended
New opinion/advisory letter application deadline is January 31, 2014

Retirement Plans Phone Forums
Register for upcoming forums and review material from past forums

Help with Choosing a Retirement Plan
Resources to help you compare retirement plan options

File a Retirement Plan Return
Forms 5500, 5500-SF, 5330, 5558 and 8955-SSA

Determination, Opinion and Advisory Letters
How to get determination, opinion or advisory letters

Fix-It Guides
Find, fix, and avoid common mistakes in plans

Examinations and Enforcement
Audit guide, compliance check letters and other programs

Advisory Committee Reports
Recommendations for Employee Plans

Contact Employee Plans - Get Educational Services
Get help with your account, answers to questions or educational services

Site Map
Information by topic.